What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Victory over Self

We watched the movie "Soul Surfer" last Friday night. What an amazing story! It was very inspiring to see a young girl and her family overcome outrageous circumstances. I highly recommend it. Our world is full of stories about people who have overcome tragedy and heartache. We are quick to applaud them, shed a few tears of compassion and then wipe our brow and think "I sure am glad that didn't happen to me."

I realize I have obstacles to overcome each day - none so profound as the loss of my arm by shark attack. The greatest obstacle I must overcome is myself. I want things my way, in my time. I want my children to obey, sleep all night, and eat dinner without complaining about the vegetables. I want my husband to do things on my terms even though he is the head of our home, put his stuff away, and meet all my needs (never mind if I am meeting his or not). In short I want to control everything! As soon as I get so frustrated I can't see straight, I stop fussing long enough to realize I can only control my own attitude, actions and response. I surrender, yet again, control to God and trust his faithfulness and perfect timing. Until I grab hold again and have to do it all over again.

We were studying Revelations last spring at our church in Evansville. In chapter 2:1-7 Jesus is speaking to the Church in Ephesus telling them "You have forsaken your first love."  They need to get back to the basics by repenting and investing the necessary time to rekindle their love relationship with God. Verse 7 says, "...To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God. "

"Overcoming is not victory over others. It is victory over ourselves. It requires intent, effort, and perseverance. (from sermon notes)" I have to overcome my own desires to control my life. I must overcome my attitude toward my circumstances. I must overcome my sinful flesh and allow the Holy Spirit to to lead. So I am praying and meditating on several key verses to give me victory.

Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God."
Psalm 139:23-24 "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."
Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment