What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Great Expectations

Going into my final year of track and field at the University of South Carolina I had big expectations for my performance. I worked harder that summer than I ever had before. I was driven and focused. I want to experience success in the throwing circle. Shot put was my best event. The indoor season started off far below my expectations, but it turned around and going into the SEC meet I was the #1 seed and ranked in the top 10 nationally. I had an expectation that I was going to be the SEC champion. When I walked out of the weight room the day before we got on the bus for the University of Kentucky, I said to one of the strength coaches, "The next time you see me I will be an SEC champion." It was not arrogance, but extreme confidence in my preparation.

At the hotel our team was gathered for dinner and each senior was given the opportunity to address the team. I spoke passionately about my expectation to win. I encouraged each athlete to expect greatness from his/her performance at the meet. Whether you are the #1 seed or the last expect great things from yourself and your teammates. My emotions grabbed me as I spoke and tears filled my eyes. I new what was possible and believed each person could achieve great things if they just expected it to happen.

The pastor spoke of expectations this morning - expectations in our relationship and interaction with Jesus Christ. Do I read my Bible with an expectation that God's Word is alive and powerful and relevant to my cirrcumstances? Do I pray with an expectation that God can handle whatever I am dealing with? Do I live with an expectation that he is holding me tight in HIS GRIP and will NOT let go?

In 1 John 3:1 it says, "How great is  the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!" Do I live expecting this lavish love as God promises to those who have accepted the free gift of salvation? Sadly, I admit, I often live impatiently focused on how I can deal with life's stuff instead of expecting the greatness of God to give me peace and rest.

I went on to win the shot put and become an SEC champion my senior year. More importantly I learned a lesson on expectations and giving myself completely to the pursute of something worthwhile. Now I apply that to life as a wife, a mom, a friend, and as a child of God. I can expect to receive the greatness God has for me if I wholeheartedly seek HIS WILL for my life and allow him to complete his masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment