What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Basketball is Life! The rest is just details.

As far back as 6th grade I remember basketball being one of the most important things in my life. I had aspirations of playing college basketball even then and there was something in me that knew I would achieve that goal. Late in high school I purchased the shirt "Basketball is Life; The rest is just details." I wore it proudly and that was a huge part of my identity.

Well, I arrive at the University of South Carolina in August 1996 having achieved my goal of playing collegiate basketball. I was on top of the world. By the end of my freshman year I was no longer on the basketball team, but I had switched sports and was a member of the track & field team. So much for basketball being my life.

John 14:6 Jesus says, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." That sure gives me a totally different perspective on how I should have pursued my athletic career. I am thankful that God has used me as a friend and coach to help young athletes hear that their sport is not life. I am thinking about one young lady in particular who rejected the idea that basketball is life to the point that she didn't necessarily try her best and give all she had to being the best player she could be. I shared with her a different perspective that God was working out in me at the time...

I am created in the image of God for the sole purpose of reflecting His glory all the days of my life. He has given me gifts and talents, strength and weaknesses so that I can be light and salt in this dark world. So no, basketball or anything else for that matter, is not life, but whatever I do am doing I should do it wholeheartedly and obediently so the name of God will be glorified and souls will be won to His kingdom.

As we watched football practice today at Razorback Stadium and followed the kids through the autograph line, I think what an amazing platform athletes have to reach the world for Jesus. What an opportunity I have to connect with student-athletes as a former athlete and coach to show then the truth that was revealed to me.

So they can see that Jesus is life! The rest of just details.

No comments:

Post a Comment