What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Practice to Win

I really miss my job as Coach Washington some days. Over the past 9 years I have been a high school track coach, a JV girl's basketball coach, a personal trainer, and most recently the Strength and Conditioning Coach for the University of Evansville Women's basketball team. I love coaching! It is one of the most frustrating and rewarding job I know. Working with young people from all walks of life provides such a great opportunity to invest in their future and the future of our world.

One day a couple years ago, Jeremiah, Maiesha and I were walking over to watch the UE volleyball team practice. (Tyrone and I were advisors for the team.) Along the way, Jeremiah asked, "Mom, are they practicing to win?" I don't recall my response word for word, but I remember saying something like I hope so and then thinking what a profound question for a 4 year old boy to ask.

There are different dimensions to winning. The person or team with the best score at the end of a contest. Recording a personal best effort in your chosen activity or sport. Maybe it is never giving up even if you will finish in last place. It could be offering heartfelt congratulations to someone who has just beaten you. Doing your best even after you were denied a promotion. Perhaps it is walking in one direction when the crowd is going the other direction.

So do I practice to win each day? Do I extend patience and grace to my family? Am I willing to set aside status, popularity, or public preception for the sake of a lost soul who needs the saving grace of Jesus Christ just like me? Do I devote myself to doing whatever it is God has called me to do at the season of life? Am I willing to be uncomfortable in some way if it means helping my team get better? Am I willing to lay down my life for a friend?

Colossians 3:23-24 says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. "

What am I practice for?

No comments:

Post a Comment