What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Speak Up and Live Out

Tyrone and I had a date last night. Those have been few and far between since we moved, but we hope to get back into a routine of date night now that we are settled into the new house. Those times are very special to us - whether it is going to the gym or out to a work party like last night - they are each an investment in our relationship and our family.

Last night a man approached us right after we sat down to eat our hors d'ourves. He was an average height white man around 70 years old. We were at the back of the table next to the wall so it was not the easiest place to get to, but he made a special point to get to us. He started by saying he wanted to share something with us and he hoped we would take it the way he intends. He told us he was part of the Civil Rights Movement years ago growing up in the Ft. Smith, AR area. He and group of friends - both black and white - were planning to attend a high school football game. At some point, they were attacked by people who were not in favor of blacks and whites "hanging out" together. He said his teeth were kicked in and pointed to the teeth in his mouth there were not his own. He told us how encouraging it is to see interracial couples enjoying life together today. I simply thanked him for what he had done so many years ago.

As I pondered this encounter this morning, I spent my quiet time reading Hebrews 11 and 12. Hebrews 11 speaks of so many people from Able to Abraham to Rahab to countless others who were faithful to trust God. Verses 39-40 says "These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect." They believed in the promises of God before Jesus came to Earth just like I believe in His death and resurrection today.

Hebrews 12:1-2 is one of my favorite passages in all the Bible. "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the thrown of God."

I take this to mean since all these people have trusted God before me even though they didn't get to see the whole picture of His plan while on earth, I can press on in my circumstances with the same hope being inspired by their perseverance and sacrifice. Just like that sweet man who was willing to stand up for the rights of all people, I must not be afraid to share the Gospel so that none would perish. I don't even have to fear physical harm so why is the risk of an awkward conversation and fear of rejection keep me from speaking up and living out my faith for all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment