What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Loving Strangers

Maiesha had a field trip to Brookstone Assisted Living facility on Wednesday to sing Christmas carols. It always tugs at my heart when I go to places like that. It was so quick though. We were in and out in 30 minutes. I did talk to one resident only because she was next to me on her motorized scooter. I used to be down right afraid of "old people". It was kinda creepy. It smelled funny. I didn't have much to say since I didn't know any of them. It was a great excuse to stay away.

Ever since I had to occassional opportunity to help take care of my grandpa before he died, I have a new appreciation for the elderly. I see them differently. They just need someone to love them like anyone does. So many seem to be forgotten whether in a facility or still at home. I decided I could make a difference this Christmas season. As our gift to Jesus for his birthday, the kids and I visited Brookstone and another facility called Katherine's Place today. I baked 12 dozen cookies last night - half sugar free and half regular. Jeremiah and Maiesha put them in ziplock bags.

We talked about what we were going to do on the way to Katherine's Place. They were excited to deliver cookies and visit grandmas and grandpas who don't get many visitors and may not have families to see at all. I told them it was ok to give hugs if someone asked and they did a great job. They got to meet a man who is 105 years old and a woman who was celebrating her 100th birthday today. They are facinated by people who are 100, but Jeremiah decided he wants to die young so he isn't old when he gets to heaven. LOL

Seeing all of these people reminded me of my own grandparents and my favorite Great-aunt Lucille. For as long as I can remember we went to her and Uncle Marion's house. We would play cards or other games. Uncle Marion was a carpenter and he would make wooden cut outs that we could paint and give to our parents as Christmas gifts. We always stopped by at Halloween and even after leaving home for college, I always went by for a game of cards or canned rubbers whenever I was home for a visit. Tyrone joined in our visits and had to learn how to play too. Uncle Marion passed away in the fall of 2001. We continued to visit Aunt Lucille until her last Christmas in 2006. We stopped by to visit one last time. It is another one of my favorite Christmas memories. She wasn't able to talk much, but right before we left she saw Maiesha who was just 8 weeks old at the time and asked to hold her. I was so overjoyed that she got to hold her that night.

There is something about the elderly and children. Several people today asked to "touch the baby" or have a hug from the kids. There is an unspeakable joy that comes to their faces. One woman we met had Alzheimer's. She was so excited to see the kids. She talked to them and hugged them. Not 15 seconds later she repeated everything as if we had not already been standing there. A little later she saw us again for "the first time" as we passed by. Everytime she had so much enthusiasm and asked if she could take them home. I am sure she doesn't remember us now, but in those moments I hope we made her day.

It took a lot of courage to go visit those folks today, but I am so glad we did. I am no longer afraid to the elderly, but it still not natural and comfortable. It reminded of Galatians 5:6 "...The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." We were able to love on complete strangers by having a little faith in our Faithful God to see us through. On the way home, Maiesha asked if we could do that again. I said we definitely will.

No comments:

Post a Comment