What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Merry Christmas

Christmas is almost here. This year like most I find myself filled with anticipation for the big day. This year as I think about that I realize I would rather celebrate all month long or even all year long. As a kid there was such a build up to Christmas morning. I am sorry to say it had mostly to do with the presents I wanted to open and see so badly. I remember standing in my bedroom at the end of the day looking at the stuff I had received in my teen and college years and thought, "This is it. I waited all year for this and now it's over. I have to wait another year to do it all again." It was pretty empty and meaningly. I am so thankful that Christmas is so much greater than gifts that will never satisfy.

We went to Maiesha's Christmas program at preschool today. We expected all the usual things a preschool program offers. This year we got something extra which I really appreciated. The pastor of the church shared a brief "sermonette" about two of his favorite Bible characters in the Christmas story. Not Mary or Joseph, not baby Jesus, not the sheperds nor the wise men. He shared the story of Simeon and Anna from Luke 2:25-40.

Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was on him. 26 It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Messiah...28 Simeon took him [baby Jesus] in his arms and praised God, saying:
29 “Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,
you may now dismiss[c] your servant in peace.
30 For my eyes have seen your salvation,
31 which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:
32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and the glory of your people Israel.”

36 There was also a prophet, Anna, the daughter of Penuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, 37 and then was a widow until she was eighty-four.[d] She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying. 38 Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.

The pastor challenged us to make Jesus enough. For Simeon and Anna it was enough to see the baby Jesus. That's it. I have the rest of the story. I can pick up my Bible at any moment and read about his death and resurrection. I can read of Christ's return and his final triumph. Simeon and Anna believed and hoped in all the Messiah would do before any of it had taken place. Can I allow Jesus to be enough in my life? Enough for this Christmas season. Enough for every victory and defeat. Enough for every trial and hardship.

We are giving gifts and we will receive some too. We will celebrate with family. But if that were all gone, Christmas would still be everything it is meant to be because I have the hope of salvation through Jesus Christ. We are trying to instill that in our kids as well. We pray together. We read the Christmas story. We even sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. We are putting him in the center of our celebration so we don't forget why we celebrate. .

Here is a song God has given me in so many circumstances over the years. Now I think it is one of my new favorite Christmas songs.

Enough - Chris Tomlin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHEm-b4IRYk

No comments:

Post a Comment