What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

I want to know already

I really miss coaching and athletics. I started as a volunteer track & field offical this month. It is fun to be around track & field again (for a few weekends between January and May), at both the high school and collegiate level, but it makes me question whether I will ever coach again. I struggle with patience and waiting on God's timing. I want him to show me the when and where, and if I won't coach again, I just want to know so I can get over it. Not very realistic I know. I realize God doesn't have the "Have it your Way" slogan like Burger King.

One of my basketball players from Evansville called a couple nights ago. She had a quick question and commented how she enjoyed seeing our pictures on Facebook. It was awesome to see her name pop up on the caller id and hear her voice. I was texting today with another former athlete who is making some incredible plans for a career in minstry after college. I have been so very reminded of the life I had. I loved coaching and being around young, talented kids. I loved to motivate them to pursue excellence in their sport and in life. It was a dream come true to be a strength & conditioning coach at the division 1 college level.

Through life as a coach I learned some valuable skills. I learned how to be bold and share my faith and my family with my athletes. I learned how to encourage and inspire others to be more than they think they can be. I learned how to hold others and myself accountable and to confront fear. I learned how to win and how to compete even when losing. I learned how to pursue excellence through commitment, courage, strength, and integrity.

God has other plans for me right now so after 8 years of coaching, one at the collegiate level, God moved us to Arkansas. Now I get myself in trouble for saying I am "just" a wife and mom. It's not that my job is not important. It's just that I was doing some other things that I really loved and now I am doing less. The good thing is I am doing more for my family. I have time to keep our new house clean. I have time to sit and read books with the kids or by myself. I can really invest a lot of uninterrupted time with the Washingtons.

I am using all those skills I learned as a coach even now as "just" a wife and mom. I am teaching them to my children. I am encouraging my husband in his new job. I am being bold to reach out to other moms like me who need friendship and adult conversation. I continue to develop my own skills as I learn to trust God daily for my career - however that looks as the years go by.

I believe I will coach again someday. It's hard to wait, but my hope is in the Lord! Isaiah 40:31 says it best. "...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."



No comments:

Post a Comment