What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Preparing the Soil

I really enjoy sports movies. I love the lessons we can teach and learn through sports - hard work, perseverance, teamwork, sportsmanship, compassion, leadership, and most of all glorifying God with the talents he has given us. One of my favorite sports movies is "Facing the Giants".  A teacher, Mr. Bridges, feels lead to stop by the football coach's office to encourage him that God is not finished with him in his role as football coach. When the coach, who is struggling to keep his job, confesses that he doesn't see God at work Mr. Bridges shares this story.

Two farmers desperately needed rain and they both prayed and asked God to send rain. One sat and waited while the other went out and prepared his fields to receive the rain. Which farmer trusted God to send rain? Which one are you? God will send the rain when he is ready. You need to prepare your field to receive it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRGvLKObmM

I often find myself in seasons of waiting. Before I got pregnant with our first child. Before job changes. Moving to a new place where I know no one. God puts me in these seasons because, I think, I struggle with patience and waiting on his timing. I sense a waiting now as I consider all that God will do through me and our family here in NW Arkansas. I get excited at the possibilities as I meet new people and experience new things. I know he has something wonderful in store. This movie reminds me that I must continue to prepare through the uncomfortable waiting. I must continue to pray and seek God's wisdom through His Word.

2 Peter 3:8-9 says "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

Peter is encouraging the believers about the second coming of Christ because so many are mocking them for their belief in God. I must remember this each day. God's plan is not confined by time as I understand it so I must continue to prepare myself until Jesus' return so that I can be about His business. If that is "just" staying home and taking care of my family right now, then so be it. If that is getting involved in college minstry, writing a book, or helping to feed the homeless, I must prepare the soil of my heart so I can hear God speak when he is ready. Then I, as Paul prayed in Ephesians 3:18-19, "may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that [I] may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment