What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Speak O Lord, and fulfill in us...

...all your purposes for Your glory. These words come from the song "Speak O Lord" by Keith Getty. It was the song God gave me the Sunday church service after my Grandpa Keppeler passed away in May 2009. The lyrics were a part of the speech I gave at his funeral. I decided to post snip-its of something I wrote the day after his funeral because it was a time that God was leading and carrying me.

"May 14, 2009 was the most difficult and most incredible day of my life. We said our final good-bye to Grandpa Keppeler at his funeral at the little country church he and Grandma attended the last few years. It was a perfect day. The sky was blue and the sun shown bright. It was literally the clearing after a thunderstorm through the night.

My Dad and I were scheduled to speak at the funeral. He mentioned something a few times about me standing with him. I didn't think that would work very well considering I had trouble looking at him. He started to read his poem and he was struggling to get the first few lines out. In complete response to God's prompting, I ran [not walk fast but actually running] to the stage to be with him. I held him tight as his voice grew stronger and he read that poem. I have never experienced such perfect brokenness as I did in that moment. Then it was my turn. He stood by my side. As I spoke I knew God's strength had comsumed me and I felt strong and empowered by the [song lyrics I read as a prayer.] As I had prayed many times before, I believe God was glorified with our time yesterday.
...
We sang Amazing Grace to close the service. I raised my hands in praise[and worship] to God for this amazing moment in time. I can't begin to describe what these 3 days mean to me.
...
Grandma has been a rock through all of this. She was happy that Grandpa was no longer suffering. She grieved more for him in the past 2 years than she has since he left us. [Alzheimer's had started about 5 years prior] She remained her 'ole funny slef with a bright smile much of the time. She told me thank you in those last few moments before we drove to the cemetary. She told me so many times over the last 2 years how she loved and appreciated everything my mom and dad had done for her and grandpa.
...
We drove to the cemetary and filled in around the grave site. All Granpa's children sat by Grandma with their spouses standing behind them. The grandchildren stood to the side as the pastor spoke the last few comforting words. The most profound thing he said was that when Grandpa took his last breath here and his body died his very next breath was in the presence of God in heaven. I can only try to wrap my brain around that. My God is so big, so strong and so mighty there's nothing my God cannot do."

My Grandpa was born in the house that he lived in all his life. And by his request my parents helped make it possible for him to take his last breath in that same house. He asked that they never put him in a nursing home and they sacrificed a lot to make sure that didn't have to happen. It was a long road, but what an amazing journey of how God uses a dying wish to teach us about his faithfulness. As challenging as it was my mom said, " I would do it all over again." I can't help but think Jesus says that same thing about his death on the cross and resurrection to ensure we can all be with Him in eternity one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment