What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

I need a pedicure

I really enjoy getting a pedicure. It is a great 30-45 minutes to relax and be pampered. I loved the fresh, renewed feeling of the whole process, and, of course, when my "dogs are out" - which is quit often - I like them to be neat with glossy polish not barking at people as they walk by. However, I can't justify spending money every month on a pedicure so I have to do some maintenance for myself.

I realized this morning that I had allowed myself to neglect this simple chore because I was so wrapped up in not being about to get a pedicure right now. I have been looking at my feet for weeks thinking they were looking a little rough around the edges (really starting to bark loudly), but sulking that I couldn't get a pedicure. So rather than tackle this myself I became "paralyzed" by what I couldn't have. I have been walking around letting my feet be less than their best - for what - because I couldn't have what I think I need or deserve.

That sounds a bit childish. I have probably had conversations with my kids about a similar attitude in them from my parent pedistle wagging my finger at them when I need to also discipline myself.

Isn't this how we tend to operate in our faith all to often? I can't be a missionary in a far off country. I can't be the pastor of a church. I can't give large sums of money to help a cause. I don't share my faith because I don't want to offend someone or feel awkward. I am just _______ so God can't really use me anyway.

What a shame that we allow ourselves to believe these lies. What a shame lost and hurting people are all around us dying every day and we are stuck in what we can't do or won't do rather than what we can do. Who know? Perhaps we could contribute in some larger way if we begin to open up to the small things God wants to do through us.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."
- 2 Timothy 1:7 NLT

This morning I stopped for 5 minutes and painted my toe nails and put a little extra lotion on my feet. It is no pedicure, but it is what I can do today to make a difference in the appearance of my feet. I feel better, emotional and physically, having done this small thing. In spite of the temperature, I can put on my flip flops with more confidence that my dogs are not on the attack. ;-)

Who might feel better for all of eternity if you take one small step today toward something that God is nudging you toward. This will boost your confidence too, and allow God to strengthen you. To help you shake that paralyzed, helpless feeling and pursue the plan and purpose he has for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment