What if...

What if...

...I allowed God to lead me in all my decisions? What would each day look like? How would I feel physically, emotionally, spiritually? Would that change the way my children behave? How would my husband respond to a wife that is living in the center of God's will?

I am starting to figure that out and hope to share stories that evidence God's lead in my life.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Benevolent Heart

So one day last week I parked the van at Jeremiah's school so we could play on the playground after school. The girls and I walk over to where he waits to be picked up in the "car rider" line and Mrs. Putnam, his principal, stopped me. She asked if my ears were burning because she was just talking about me with another parent. I said, "uh oh" with a goofy grin on my face. She told me they were talking about how inspirational they think I am. I was a little embarrassed, but very touched. I said thank you and we chatted for another minute then we headed to the playground. As we walked, I briefly looked to heaven and said thank you God. I have been accused of being a few different things in my life, but to be called inspirational was extremely humbling and encouraging. That is what I want to be known as. I can't take any of the credit though - it is all God working though me. If anything, I can only take credit for listening to His voice and direction.

As some of you know, our family "adopted" another family at Jeremiah's elementary school. We provide one meal a week for them. We also try to include them in our lives by taking the mom and little boy to the library with us on Tuesday, having a playdate, etc. We are trying to forge a relationship with them to help meet physical needs and ultimately their spiritually needs. We have been doing this since the end of February and I would like to ask for your help now.

First, I would ask that you pray for God to give you a benevolent heart. That means a heart that desires to help others. "Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done." (Proverbs 19:17 NIV) Our desire to help this family and other families like them was originally motivated out of pure obedience to God's call. It was awkward and uncomfortable, and sometimes it still is, but it is so very worth it.

Second, I would ask that you consider helping us meet some additional needs for this family. They do not have a car and they live in very horrible conditions. I would like to get the mom and dad some clothes and a gift card to a nice restaurant. I want to be able to provide them with a chauffeured date night. If you can spare a few dollars or could send a gift card, it would be awesome. However God might lead you to pitch in would be most appreciated. The daughter is in first grade with Jeremiah and the little boy is 3 years old. Please contact me if you would like to get our address.

Third, I would ask that you plug into your own community in some way. "Whoever shuts their ears to the cry of the poor will also cry out and not be answered." (Proverbs 19:17 NIV) It doesn't take much to make a huge difference in someone else's life. A great big HUG and THANK YOU if you are already doing something to reach out. Please share that with me. We have a couple other families in our school who have agreed to help similar to what we are doing and I know some of the teachers reach out to their students as well. I will be speaking at our PTO meeting on May 8 to share our experience so far and give people more ideas about how they could get involved. We can meet physical, emotional, intelectual, and spiritual needs by just making ourselves available. Give a meal, read to your child's class, play with the kids at recess, show appreciation for a teacher or administrator, drop off non-perishable items/toiletries at the school, or volunteer for something. The possiblities are endless and I know God will exponentially multiple whatever we give out of love and obedience.

"For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ "(Matthew 25:42-45 NIV)

Thank you! for allowing God to move and work in your lives.

1 comment:

  1. May God continue to bless you for your willingness to obey His call to help others! My heart is blessed as I read this!

    ReplyDelete